In 1935, the prospector's niece Winifred Oldham Hamilton and her husband Walter moved to Red River from Boulder City, NV, where Walter worked building the Hoover Dam and Winifred taught school to the construction worker's children. Their dream was to help the uncles develop Tall Pine Camp. Travelers seeing the beautiful valley setting frequently stopped and asked to pitch their tents. The family began building cabins to rent, and what is now known as Tall Pine Resort was born.
The most recent cabins, the Golden Treasure and Golden Calf, were built on a hill overlooking the lake in 1958. Tall Pine Resort became a popular tourist destination, with several generations of families enjoying the serenity of the resort.
Linda and Richard Green were longtime guests of Tall Pine Resort who, like many others, had dreamed of owning it someday. Linda grew up vacationing here with her family, and brought Richard here after their marriage. Linda's mother's family, the A. B. Clouthiers of Springer, NM, were some of the original tent campers in the twenties and thirties.
The Green's convinced Winnie and the family to sell to them with the promise to keep Tall Pine Resort the special place so many families loved, and began operating the resort in the summer of 1991.
With the help of some dedicated friends who had worked at the resort for sixteen or more years, and the support of our families, the cabins have been updated, but their charm remains. Fishing is better than ever, and our longtime guests are happy.
In 1999, the Green's purchased Winnie's house and six acres from Walter Oldham, so the original homestead is reunited. The office and store are located in Winnie's house at the entrance to Tall Pine Resort. And the dream lives on.
PO Box 567 Red River, New Mexico (575) 754-2241